Skeleton ( skeletal system )
the hard, protective and supportive parts of body forms skeleton (skeletal system).
In our body, bones & some cartilages form this system & provide a frame to our body which is protective & supportive.
- Hydro skeleton àin which fluid forms the skeleton of body. In hydro, flatworms, annelids or roundworms.
- It covers the body internally.
- It is produced by mesoderm. (middle layer of body)
- It is made up of living materials like bones, cartilage.
- They does not stops the growth of body.
- It has muscles attached to its outer surface.
- It covers the body eternally.
- It is produced by ectoderms (outermost layer of body).
- It is made up of non-living materials like chitin, keratin (hair & nails are made up of keratin).
- They stops the growth of body.
- It has muscles attached to its inner surface.
Difference between bone and cartilage :-
Functions of cartilage :-
- It provide shape, support and protection to body.
- It helps in movement of body parts.
- Bone narrow in bones help in the formation of new cells.
- Cartilage of larynx (voice box) help in sound production.
- Can ossicles (bone) of ear help in hearing.